Wow, couldn't ask for better weather these days. I didn't even check the temperature today, but it was so warm that not one person asked if we were cold in our 1-layer, skin baring, outfits. That says a lot in NC in November. We've had some cold spells, so everyone has changed their attire to long johns, sweaters, and coats. I must have seen 10 kids today bundled for a snow fight in 70 degree weather. Poor things. We had planned to play a game and count how many times people asked if we were cold, were scared of the cold, or just made some comment about our lack of clothing... we all made our bids before leaving the house. Gracie guessed 6 times, I guessed 13, Tracy guessed 10 and Lola who now likes to count everything to 4 guessed 4. Poo - not one person made a comment. I figured they were all so miserably hot today they couldn't muster the word cold from their vocabulary.
So, no one harassed us about out clothes today, but plenty of folks wanted to touch Gracie and Lola's face and hair. I mean really, like they are animals in a zoo for sport. Gracie did really well though, she didn't even notice people touching her hair, but several A-yis got the grumble and stomp reaction when they went for the touch. Lola is still mostly kind to everyone and shines her smile and invites more attention. I, however, am quick to ask them not to touch her face. Besides the fact that it is just rude, most of these people have probably used the bathroom, blown a few snot rockets, handled raw meat, and no telling what else without washing their hands. Filthy!
Wal-Marts bathroom.... oh my. I mean public restrooms have a reputation to uphold, I understand, but when you multiply the yuck with squatty potties - which means you have to get a little closer to the yuck.... anyway, I felt like disease was jumping on me like bedbugs on an Indian sleeper train. Gross!
The elevator... in plane view of the escalator, was crowded with young people and able bodied men for the most part. Several times (yes, we had to make several trips up and down today) people rushed on in front of us because there is no line system here... just the cattle call. After this had happened several times and the elevator was full of many people who could have easily taken the escalator I just had to ask them... why can't you take the escalator and let the pregnant woman with a huge double stroller use the lift? RUDE! This is not uncommon, even in HK, but at least in HK there are all these little signs reminding people to be considerate of the old, the weak, the pregnant and those with small children, buggies or luggage. Being considerate was left out of the Chinese cotillion classes...it just never occurs to them to look around and think about others before themselves. Considerate is our word of the month - Gracie is improving.
Noise - oh my. I wanted to take a nap today but the music shop behind our apartment building must have purchased a new CD because it was blaring. I am really thankful that they mostly play their flutes and play them quite nicely, but it does get loud at times and their is no volume control or insulation to shield us. Then there are the firecrackers, which I am also happy to say do not freak my kids out as bad as they used to, but tonight about 20 minutes after Gracie went to bed I hear her screaming for me. I was working in the living room and hadn't even heard the firecrackers... but they woke her up. "Mommy, why are they firing them off so late?" Well it was only 8:15, not so late! I think the biggest noise nuisance at the moment is the sound of horns. There are the skreeching ones that make the hair stand up on your arms, the bull horn type that make you jump out of your skin, and then the plane old honk, honk type... the problem with all of them are that people use them way too much. Some people are honk happy - honking their horn every few seconds, others just wait until they get right next to you and then bllllll! Arg - my ears are under attack.
So the weather is nice here in NC, but the air is terrible - can't breath in some areas because of the heavy amounts of coal that are being burned. My eyes are red and poofy - just from the pollution. But the weather is nice. Thank you Lord for the warm weather. I'll take it! Please let it last.
That's my rant for the day. Maybe tomorrow will be extremely positive. I hope so.