Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Trip to the Women's Hospital

A new experience….

I went to the Women’s Hospital today with a friend to see if they could check my ovary because I have been having some pain in that area. It was quite the adventure. As far as I know, no one has a personal physician here, but some do have connections. My best friend Dora is a post-graduate at the Chinese Medical School and is now practicing in a local hospital. She had a classmate working in the Women’s Hospital so that made our journey a lot less troublesome.

When Dora and I arrived I saw many people wandering around the lobby. Some were sitting and waiting while others were lined up at one of the many windows. The hospital services were listed on a large board in the front lobby, so we found that a sonogram was merely 38 Yuan which is about $5. I knew from previous experience that if I had a major problem this would help them know it very quickly, so we made our way through the “assembly line”. First stop was at a window where my name was entered into the computer and I was given a handy credit card of sorts for future inquiries and a paper notebook in which a doctor may record any diagnosis and treatment. It is the patient’s responsibility to keep up with the medical history. After paying 9 Yuan for the registration and booklet we went upstairs to consult with a doctor, who would have to write the order for a sonogram. Dora called her friend who took us directly to a doctor on duty. The doctor was very friendly and listened intently as Dora explained my concerns. Within a few seconds I had the doctor’s order for a sonogram. Next stop… the pay counter. I paid my 38 Yuan, got my receipt and we headed to the 4th floor to the ultrasound department. I was told to drink obscene amounts of water, which I had already started doing, and then Dora’s friend showed us where to go once my bladder was full. Through the doorway I saw about 8 women in a line waiting. I was told to go back to the waiting room until I was ready… so I downed my 4th bottle of water and announced that it was time! We reentered the room to find 2 lines. I chose to get into the line with a very pregnant woman. You see there is no private sonogram room, everyone watches as you get your sonogram. So, one after another, the ladies slipped onto the table, received the sonogram and got up for the next patient. It was really kind of neat to see the pregnant ladies getting a sonogram. I could recognize all the little body parts and remembered clearly the first time I saw Gracie via sonogram one year ago.

When it was my turn I crawled onto the table and the tech instantly started searching around to find my ovary. I was surprised that from the table I could not see the monitor, which means all those sweet little pregnant ladies could not see the picture of their unborn children… what a shame. I told her I wanted to see, so she turned the monitor around so that I could. No cysts, no problems. Halleluiah! Why the discomfort? Who knows – they said not to worry about it. OK.

I was amazed at the lack of privacy the women had in that hospital, but maybe even more amazing was how comfortable I felt. After a good month of old fashion culture shock, I guess I am finally back to normal – at home in China!

Love to all - Jenny